Email id: a dot suryanarayanan at iihs dot co dot in
Suryanaraynan is CFO at the Indian Institute For Human Settlements – India’s first prospective National University for Research and Innovation addressing the challenges of overall operations and the running of the ‘Program for Working Professionals Vertical’.
- Master of Management, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, June 2000. (IMPM cycle 3 1998-2000)
- International Masters in Practicing Management, I.N.S.E.A.D., Fontainebleau, France, September 1999 (as part of the IMPM program 1998-2000).
- Licentiate from the Insurance Institute of India (general branch)
- Fellow member Institute of Chartered Accountants of India since 1981.
- Bachelor of Commerce, R.A.Podar College, Bombay University, April 1977.
Surya’s entrepreneurial journey began with a start up pharmaceutical company called Recon, where he helped the company grow aggressively, taking them to the top 100. He conceived, created and implemented an IT-enabled health services company called Medybiz, with venture funds in 2000. He is a charter member of TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs) and an advisor to VKInfotek. He is a Member of the Governing body of TiE Bangalore chapter. He is also heading The Urban Incubator initiative at IIHS.
As the Chief Operating Officer of the N S Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL) at IIM, Bengaluru, he helped infuse a paradigm change which incidentally also included a business incubator and a seed fund. The centre made significant progress during his two-year term to become one of the leading incubators in the country. He now assists as a pro bono mentor at the centre.
Surya has been invited to hold sessions in Executive Development Programmes at various management schools including IIM, Bangalore. He has also conducted a three week program on Risk management for senior government professionals of the UP government at Lucknow.
A first generation serial entrepreneur, Surya has the distinction of spotting opportunities where not many would look for. While managing Medybiz, Surya saw an upcoming opportunity and founded Medi Assist, a Third Party Administrator. The angel investor Nadathur Investments managed this company before being sold to Reliance (Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group) in 2006 along with Medybiz.
Surya then conceived, created and made operational a modern chain of pharmacies branded Lifeken in Bangalore in 2005 which soon grew to 40 stores in the first 15 months of operations. He then successfully engineered a takeover of another pharma retail company called Pill and Powder. The business expanded to a 90 store operation in four states. This chain was later acquired by Religare in 2008.
A pioneer in the pharmaceutical and health service industries, Surya has had his share of success in the field of education as well. He works with a number of start ups, angel funds acting as a venture capitalist for some start ups. He is on the board of start ups, like justbooks, metaOme, Credence family office, to name a few.
- Invited to write for The Hindu on ‘Patient Relationship Management’ for their annual Industries Issue, Jan 2004.
- Published a paper ‘Healthcare management in emerging markets and role of TPAs’ in the recently held conference conducted by APRIA at Shanghai.
- Published an invited article ‘Healthcare and Health Insurance in India’ in the quarterly newsletter of The Geneva Association in September 2002.
- Recently published article titled ‘Who’s health is it anyway?’ in the Indian express group
- Presented a mini thesis ‘Channel management in Healthcare logistics using alternate technologies’ for the McGill management degree.